CenturyLink prepares for Hurricane Florence, encourages customers to be prepared
MONROE, La., Sept. 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- In preparation for Hurricane Florence, CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) has initiated its internal disaster preparedness plan to help maintain its network and communication services throughout the storm.
- Readying emergency crews and equipment
- Testing and fueling portable generators
- Communicating with governmental agencies and first responders
- Initiating a real-time command center for CenturyLink employees to stay in communication throughout the storm's impact
CenturyLink also has plans in place for restoring services, should they be impacted, as quickly as possible. The company's priority will be ensuring the reliability and resiliency of its services as soon as it is safe to do so.
CenturyLink encourages customers to be prepared for Hurricane Florence by keeping at least one corded telephone in the home that does not need electrical power. All cordless telephones need a power source and will not work during power outages, and VoIP phones may not work when internet service is disrupted. Corded phones are powered through the phone lines so they are often the most reliable source of communication in an emergency. Customers can obtain telephones that do not need commercial power at some CenturyLink retail locations or other major retailers.
Many experts also say a detailed communication plan plays one of the biggest roles in helping families sta connected to each other during a natural disaster, such as hurricanes, tornadoes and floods.
Emergency officials also recommend these steps:
- Compile a "Ready-to-Go Kit" in case your family needs to leave your home and a "Ready-to-Stay Kit" in case your family needs to stay inside your home for an extended period of time. Kits should contain water, canned or non-perishable food items, can opener, flashlight, battery-powered radio, extra batteries, change of clothes, first aid supplies, cash and important prescription medications.
- Keep vital documents in a fire and waterproof case so you can take them with you if you have to evacuate.
- Designate a safe place in your home and a safe meeting place outside your home and out of harm's way.
- Don't forget to plan for family pets in case you have to leave home or are shut in for an extended period of time.
- CenturyLink has an internal disaster preparedness plan in place for Hurricane Florence.
- Impacted services will be restored as quickly as possible and once it is deemed safe for technicians.
- Customers are encouraged to keep at least one corded telephone in the home that does not need electrical power.
- Experts say a detailed communication plan plays one of the biggest roles in helping families stay connected to each other during a natural disaster.
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/centurylink-prepares-for-hurricane-florence-encourages-customers-to-be-prepared-300710558.html
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.
[ Back To Conferencing Zone's Homepage ]